Please Read For COVID-19 information!!!Due to concerns surrounding COVID-19/ corona virus, Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy is taking extra precautions to keep students and staff safe and to meet all Federal and State recommended guidelines. The next session begins on January 19th. Information sessions and interviews will be conducted via Zoom meetings. Staff are often working remotely at this time, so we cannot accept walk-in visits, but will be happy to answer any e-mail inquiries regarding the boot camp and application process at email@example.com FAQ's
Boot Camp Requirements and Information
- Payment & Outside Funding: You must provide means of payment before classes begin.*
- Federal Background Check: Your ability to receive your credentials may be dependent on your criminal or driving history. We must be able to assess your status to make sure you will pass TSA and National Maritime Security requirements. Students who plan on using federal funds must complete this before being accepted into the class.
- Coast Guard Drug Test: All applicants for credentials must pass a CG drug screen. Students using federal funds must pass this before being accepted into the class. Applicants should use Labs-to-Go on Northampton Blvd (see attached flyer) and have results emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cost of test will be reimbursed if accepted into the class.
- Ability to swim or stay afloat for more than 1 minute: To pass the basic training portion of the class and receive STCW credential, student must be able to tread water or float with head above water for more than one minute as part of class.
- Interview: Any student applying for competitive funding must complete interview with boot camp staff before being accepted into the program.
- Citizenship/Right to Work: All applicants must have proof of citizenship or of right to work in United States.
- US Coast Guard Physical: All applicants must be able to pass a US Coast Guard physical in to receive credentials. This step can be completed after you’ve been accepted unless there is a medical issue that should be assessed.
- -If you plan on paying your tuition yourself, you must be paid in full to begin class. You may reserve a spot in the class by paying a non-refundable deposit of $1,000.00. The remainder of the payment is due 10 business days before the beginning of the program.
- -If you are between the ages of 17 ½ and 24 years old, you can check with boot camp coordinators to determine if you are eligible for funding through Hampton Roads Workforce Council’s “Out of School Youth” funding. Eligibility for this funding is determined by federal guidelines, and eligibility does not guarantee acceptance. This program funds a limited amount of students each year.
- -If you are 18 years old or over, you may be eligible for a tuition voucher through the Workforce Development Centers- These are OneStop on Glen Rock Road for the Southside, The Peninsula Worklink Center on Butler Farm Road for the Peninsula, or other regional workforce centers if you are out of the area. Eligibility procedures and requirements vary depending on each workforce center, and does not guarantee acceptance. This program funds a limited number of students each year.
- -If you are out-of-state, you will want to check to see if your workforce board will approve a program accepted by the Virginia Workforce Agencies and whether they cover additional expenses such as transportation and housing.
- -Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy is unable to accept Federal Financial Aid, but may be able to work with you for other types of tuition loans on a case-by-case basis.
Once applicants have determined their source of funding, they should let boot camp staff know, and proceed with next steps. Contact coordinators at email@example.com with questions.
Students Jasper Hill and Troy Meads during their internship with Intracoastal Marine, Inc. Jasper is currently employed by Intracoastal Marine. (August 2016)
Download Forms and Link to TWIC Enrollment Center
- Application for Merchant Mariner Credential CG_719B
- Disclosure Statement for Narcotics, DWI/DUI, and/or other convictions CG_719C
- Application for Merchant Mariner Medical Certificate CG_719K
- DOT Periodic Testing Drug Form CG_719P
- Link to: TWIC Enrollment Center